Sunday, August 7, 2011

Wow! Williams Wins!

Victorious Caddie Steve Williams has paid tribute to the role played by golfer Adam Scott in his amazing comeback win at the WGC Invitiational at Firestone this week.

"I couldn't have done it without Adam" said an obviously emotional Williams after Scott had helped him to victory with a birdie at the last. "No caddie is complete without a golfer who hits the shots - they may not be the glamour partner, but you have to acknowledge their work"

Wiliams, without a win for nearly 2 years and written off by many after firing former partner Tiger Woods, was clearly elated. He punched the air several times, punched two fans waving cameras near him and acknowledged the applause of the crowd surrounding the 18th green.

His 48 minute acceptance speech may have been too long for some purist golf commentators but it clearly came from the heart. Twice during his Phillippic he generously reminded listeners of the role played by Scott, and took time to indulge in a few digs at his former employee, Woods.

"I didn't see much of him during the tournament, but then I never look backwards" cracked the Kiwi. " I just focussed on what I do best, what I felt I needed to do to win, carrying a bag of metal around and doing what I am told to".

Williams next event will be the US PGA, the final major of the year, and he will be keen to add this to his growing total of Majors as he chases jack Nicklaus' record of 19. Once again he will have Scott on the clubs, and in this sort of form he must rate a better than even chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment